West Milton atomic power dome, 1950s

West Milton atomic power dome, 1950s

C008/4243 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 50.0MB

Downloadable file size: 1.5MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator


Credit: EMILIO SEGRE VISUAL ARCHIVES/AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Restrictions: Editorial use only

Caption: West Milton atomic power dome. Dome of the first commercial nuclear power plant, located at West Milton, New York, USA. This nuclear power station, part of the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (KAPL), went online on 18 July 1955. This KAPL reactor was a prototype sodium-cooled one, designed for use in nuclear submarines. The electricity generated was supplied to local homes and businesses by General Electric. This was also the first use of the now-familiar dome shape, proposed and made obligatory by the first Atomic Energy Commission Reactor Safeguard Committee. Photographed in the 1950s.Restrictions:

Release details: Model release not available. Property release not required.

Keywords: 1900s, 1950s, 1955, 20th century, adult, american, black-and-white, building, cadillac, cadillacs, car, cars, caucasian, dome, historical, history, human, industrial, industry, kapl, knolls atomic power laboratory, male, man, men, monochrome, new york, north america, north american, nuclear physics, nuclear power, nuclear power station, people, person, physical, physics, reactor, united states, us, usa, west milton, west milton nuclear reactor

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.