Abstract illustration of dark matter

Abstract illustration of dark matter

R980/0058 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 51.1MB

Downloadable file size: 3.8MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator

This image is part of the feature B B C


Caption: Dark matter. Abstract illustration of dark matter showing a spiral galaxy as a jigsaw puzzle with many of the pieces missing. Dark matter is a theoretical concept used by cosmologists to explain why the stars in a galaxy stay together. The gravitational force within a galaxy can be determined by its rotational period. The mass of the stars can be calculated by measuring their luminosity. Cosmologists estimate that only about 10% of the gravitational force holding galaxies together comes from visible mass. Theoreticians have suggested that the other 90% comes from dark matter made of subatomic particles or compact, non-luminous material such as asteroids.

Release details: Model release not required. Property release not required.

Keywords: abstract, art, artwork, astronomy, cosmology, dark matter, galaxy, galaxy artwork, jigsaw puzzle, science, space, spiral galaxy, universe

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.