Abstract artwork of subatomic dark matter particle

Abstract artwork of subatomic dark matter particle

R980/0059 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 57.5MB

Downloadable file size: 5.9MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator

This image is part of the feature Dark Matter Mine


Caption: Dark matter. Illustration of a magnifying glass looking at dark matter made of subatomic particles, such as neutrinos or Weakly-Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPs), against a background of spiral galaxies. Dark matter is a theoretical concept used by cosmologists to explain why the stars in a galaxy stay together. The gravitational force within a galaxy can be determined by its rotational period. The mass of the stars can be calculated by measuring its luminosity. Cosmolo- gists estimate that only about 10% of the gravita- tional force holding galaxies together comes from visible mass. Some think that the other 90% comes from dark matter made of subatomic particles.

Release details: Model release not required. Property release not required.

Keywords: art, artwork, astronomy, cosmology, dark matter, galaxy, magnifying glass, neutrino, particles, role in cosmology, science, space, spiral galaxy, subatomic particle, universe, wimps

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.