Abstract artwork of MACHO dark matter objects

Abstract artwork of MACHO dark matter objects

R980/0060 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 48.4MB

Downloadable file size: 3.2MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator


This image is part of the feature Dark Matter Mine

Credit: LYNETTE COOK/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Caption: Dark matter. Artwork of dark matter made of MACHOs (Massive Astronomical Compact Halo Objects) with a spiral galaxy at bottom left. The MACHOs shown are a brown dwarf (top right), black hole (bottom right), a planet (red, upper centre), white dwarfs (white, upper centre and centre left), a pulsar neutron star (top left, with gas jets) and aster- oids. Cosmologists use dark matter to explain why the stars in a galaxy stay together. Cosmologists estimate that only about 10% of the gravitational force holding galaxies together comes from visible mass such as stars. Some think that the other 90% comes from dark matter made of dim objects in the outer regions of a galaxy (its halo).

Release details: Model release not required. Property release not required.

Keywords: art, artwork, asteroid, astronomy, brown dwarf, cosmology, dark matter, galaxy, illustration, macho, science, space, spiral galaxy, universe, white dwarf

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.