Sellafield nuclear power reprocessing plant in Cumbria, UK, showing some of the buildings on the large site as seen from the local graveyard! The domed building housed the Windscale Advanced Gas- Cooled Reactor, a prototype nuclear reactor operating from 1963 to 1981. Before the fire in 1957, the tall stacks & attached square buildings housed the two Windscale plutonium production reactors, where uranium was irradiated to produce plutonium for military purposes. The cooling towers are attached to the Calder Hall nuclear power station, the world's first commercial size nuclear plant opened in 1956. It provides the electricity & process steam for Sellafield.
Model release not required. Property release not required.