1816 Bullocks Museum curios and fossil

1816 Bullocks Museum curios and fossil

C011/0888 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 51.2MB

Downloadable file size: 6.0MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator


Credit: PAUL D STEWART/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Caption: 1816 copperplate engraving by R. Sands from a drawing by J.P. Neale, published by John Harris for "The Beauties of England and Wales". The Egyptian Hall was built in 1812 by William Bullock in Piccadilly, London, to house his collections which included taxidermy, fossils and ethnographic items brought back by Captain Cook. As a public museum it was a great success drawing in over 220, 000 visitors in 1816. The first Mary Anning specimen of an ichthyosaur were displayed at Bullock's Museum (as well as later more complete specimens belonging to Thomas Birch, (described by Sir Everard Home in an article of 1819, and named by him Proteosaurus). Bullock's collection was sold in 1819 and Birch's in 1820. The British Museum bought Anning's first ichthyosaur skull and the Royal College of Surgeons bought Birch's more complete specimen - which was destroyed by the bombing of 1941.

Release details: Model release not required. Property release not required.

Keywords: 19th century, artwork, black and white, black-and-white, bullock's museum, conybeare, curiosities, de la beche, egyptian hall, everard home, ichthyosaur, icthyosaur, illustration, london, london museum, mary anning, monochrome, natural history museum, proteosaurus, public museum, william birch

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.