Professor Vize research ship in Antarctica. This Soviet research vessel is named after Russian explorer and scientist Vladimir Vize (1886-1954). With a length of 124 metres, it was launched in 1967 as one of seven vessels in the Akademik Kurchatov class of research ships. It carried a crew of 80, with facilities for 74 researchers. Here, it is unloading at Molodezhnaya Station in Antarctica. This Soviet research station is located in the Thala Hills near the coast in East Antarctica. It operated from 1962 until it was mothballed in the 1980s. The Professor Vize was scrapped in 1999. Photographed in 1975.
Model release not required. Property release not required.