Sydney Observatory. This refracting telescope, on an equatorial mount, was made by the German company Georg Merz and Sons. It arrived at Sydney Observatory, Sydney, Australia, in 1861. The observatory had been established only a few years earlier in 1858. Used for a variety of observations, from 1890 to 1947 this telescope was used as a guide telescope for the Sydney astrographic observation program. Photographed by Australian photographer Charles Bayliss (1850-1897). Bayliss was commissioned by the observatory in the 1880s and 1890s to document the building and its equipment.
Model release not required. Property release not required.