Slug poisoned by metaldehyde

Slug poisoned by metaldehyde

C014/8070 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 51.7MB

Downloadable file size: 4.7MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator


Credit: DR JEREMY BURGESS/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Caption: Metaldehyde is used worldwide to control slugs and snails in crops, as well as by private gardeners. It is a cyclic tetramer of acetaldehyde, poisonous to all forms of animal life, with a lethal dose of 100-300mg/kg. On ingestion it is partially degraded to acetaldehyde, an irritant. In slugs and snails, this results in the production of large amounts of mucus, as well as partial paralysis. Death is by dehydration. Slug pellets formulated with bran can be attractive to wildlife and domestic pets. Birds and animals such as hedgehogs may be affected by eating slugs or snails that have ingested metaldehyde. Farmers are subject to regulations restricting use of metaldehyde. In late 2012, its levels in UK waterways exceeded EU limits.The picture shows a slug that has ingested a slug pellet containing metaldehyde. It is stranded, immobile, with a trail of mucus behind it

Release details: Model release not required. Property release not required.

Keywords: acetaldehyde, biological, biology, farming, hedgehog, metaldehyde, molluscicide, mucus, pesticide, poison, pollution, slug, slug pellet, snail, zoological, zoology

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.