Abu Simbel temple. Great Temple at Abu Simbel in its original position on the west bank of the River Nile. This temple, carved from sandstone, was excavated from sand dunes in the 19th century; the entrance had been uncovered by 1817. This temple (and another nearby) was constructed in what was then Nubia in the 13th century BC on the order of pharaoh Rameses II, depicted in the Great Temple's four colossal statues (each 20 metres tall). The temples were moved in the 1960s to save them from the rising waters of Lake Nasser behind the Aswan High Dam. This photograph is from between 1860 and 1900.
Model release not required. Property release not required.