DuPont Highway construction. Workers on benches smoothing concrete on the Coleman du Pont Road in Delaware, USA. Also known as the DuPont Highway, funding came from US industrialist Thomas Coleman du Pont (1863-1930). The scheme received legislative approval in 1911. The Coleman Du Pont Road company supervised the initial building of the two-lane concrete road, with the reminder completed by the new state highway department. Du Pont provided a total of 4 million US dollars, and construction was completed by 1923. The highway, dedicated in 1924, ran for 156 kilometres from Selbyville to Wilmington. Photographed in the 1920s.
Model release not available. Property release not required.