Lawrence's 184-inch (4.6 m) cyclotron

Lawrence's 184-inch (4.6 m) cyclotron

A092/0010 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 50.9MB

Downloadable file size: 3.3MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator


Credit: LAWRENCE BERKELEY LAB/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Restrictions: Editorial use only

Caption: The "184-inch" (4. 6 m) cyclotron built by Ernest Lawrence & colleagues at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, California. Completed in 1946, it accelerated deuterons up to 195 MeV, a record energy at the time. The deuterons originated at the centre of the cyclotron & then circled round within a hollow chamber, divided into 2 D-shaped hemispheres; as they crossed the gaps between the Ds, they were accelerated by an electric voltage. Although contained by a magnetic field, they spiralled outwards as they gained energy. The 184- inch was the first "synchrocyclotron", in which the frequency of the accelerating voltage was adjusted to remain in step with the particles.

Release details: Model release not required. Property release not required.

Keywords: accelerator, cyclotron, deuteron accelerator, ernest's cyclotron, laboratory, lawrence, lawrence berkeley, lbl, odyssey, particle physics laboratory, research, synchrocylotron

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.