Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

C021/6052 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 30.1MB

Downloadable file size: 2.1MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator


Credit: Warman, Columbia University, courtesy EMILIO SEGRE VISUAL ARCHIVES/AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Restrictions: Editorial use only

Caption: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Palisades, New York, USA. This site was founded by Columbia University in 1949 as the Lamont Geological Observatory, and renamed in 1969 and 1993. The site, the weekend residence of US banker Thomas W. Lamont, was built in 1929 and donated by his widow following his death. The LDEO carries out research across a broad range of earth sciences. Walking at centre (left to right) are US geophysicists William Maurice Ewing (1906-1974) and Frank Press (born 1924). Ewing was the LDEO's founder and first director (1949-1972). Press, who obtained his doctorate studying under Ewing, was a co-founder of the LDEO.

Release details: Model release not available. Property release not required.

Keywords: 1900s, 1950s, 1960s, 20th century, adult, american, black-and-white, building, caucasian, center, columbia university, director, earth science, earth sciences, estate, geological, geologist, geology, geophysicist, geophysics, historical, history, human, institute, lamont-doherty earth observatory, ldeo, male, man, men, monochrome, new york, north america, north american, palisades, people, person, physical, physics, research centre, research laboratory, researcher, scientist, scientists, torrey cliff, two people, united states, usa, walking

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.