Editorial use only.
Alvan Clark and Sons telescope factory, 40-inch Yerkes lens. Dating from circa 1895, this is thought to be the only known surviving photograph showing the interior of the Alvan Clark and Sons telescope factory. Founded in 1846, in Cambridgeport, Massachusetts, USA, this factory produced many of the largest lenses of the time, including the 40-inch lens for the refractor at the Yerkes Observatory. Here, three men are standing alongside the 40-inch objective lens in its heavy cell. The man on the left is C. A. Robert Lundin (1880-1962). This copy of this image was presented to the Yerkes Observatory by Ruth Douglass, the daughter of C. A. Robert Lundin.
Model release not available. Property release not required.