Cosmic Inflation artwork

Cosmic Inflation artwork

C024/4797 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 99.9MB

Downloadable file size: 7.1MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator


Credit: DAVID PARKER/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Caption: Fractal illustration of cosmic inflation. Scientists can only account for about 30% of the matter they think is present in the universe - a combination of ordinary matter and so-called dark matter. This leaves 70% unaccounted for and is thought to be made up of a mysterious substance called dark energy - an energy field rather than subatomic particles. Observations of supernovae show them to be accelerating away from each other and it is thought that dark energy may be responsible for this inflation. Cosmic inflation is the exponential expansion of space in the early universe. The inflationary hypothesis was developed in the 1980s by physicists Alan Guth and Andrei Linde. It explains the origin of the large-scale structure of the cosmos. Quantum fluctuations in the microscopic inflationary region, magnified to cosmic size, become the seeds for the growth of structure in the Universe

Release details: Model release not required. Property release not required.

Keywords: abstract, alan guth, andre linde, astrophysical, astrophysics, big bang, black hole, clouds, computer, conceptual, cosmic inflation, cosmology, cosmos, curved spacetime, dark energy, dark matter, early universe, energy, explosion, fractal illustration, fractals, gas, gas clouds, general relativity, gravitation, gravity, illustration, inflation, light, mandelbrot set, particle physics, physics, quantum, relativity, spacetime, subatomic, subatomic particles, supernova, supernovae, theory of relativity

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.