Submarine telegraph cable. Historical illustration of the submarine telegraph cable first laid from Dover to Calais in 1851 across the English Channel. This allowed Britain to be connected to the European telegraph system. As shown at left, the smallest conducting parts of the cable were 1.5 millimetres across, with insulation 7 millimetres across. Four insulated cables were bundled in an iron sheath (outer layer). The whole cable was 32 millimetres across and 40 kilometres long. Artwork from 'Electricite' (1911) by Max de Nansouty, part of the 'Les merveilles de la science' series of 1867-1891 by Louis Figuier.
Model release not required. Property release not required.