Blackfriars underground station, 1875

Blackfriars underground station, 1875

C027/7696 Rights Managed

Request low-res file

530 pixels on longest edge, unwatermarked

Request/Download high-res file

Uncompressed file size: 50.0MB

Downloadable file size: 18.7MB

Price image Pricing

Please login to use the price calculator


Credit: BRITISH LIBRARY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Caption: Blackfriars underground station. 19th-century illustration of steam trains in Blackfriars Underground station, with St Paul's Cathedral in the background. This station was opened on 30 May 1870 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR). This was a shallow line, constructed by the cut-and-cover method of roofing over a shallow trench. This view looks north-east to the dome of St Paul's Cathedral and the offices of 'The Times' newspaper in Printing House Square. Electrification took place in 1905. The station has been part of the Circle line since 1949. Artwork published in the British weekly illustrated newspaper 'The Graphic' on 15 May 1875.

Release details: Model release not required. Property release not required.

Keywords: 15 may 1875, 1800s, 1870s, 1875, 19th century, architectural, architecture, artwork, black-and-white, blackfriars underground station, britain, british, building, cathedral, circle line, city, cut and cover, cut-and-cover line, engine, england, english, europe, european, historical, history, human, illustration, london, london underground, metropolitan district railway, monochrome, no-one, nobody, office, passenger, passengers, people, person, printing house square, railway, religious building, shallow, st paul's cathedral, station, steam locomotive, steam power, steaming, technological, technology, the graphic, the times, train, transport, transportation, transporting, uk, victorian

Licence fees: A licence fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project.