29.9 MB (4.2 MB compressed)
4053 x 2582 pixels
34.3 x 21.8 cm ⏐ 13.5 x 8.6 in (300dpi)
ANN RONAN PICTURE LIBRARY / HERITAGE IMAGES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ANN RONAN PICTURE LIBRARY / HERITAGE IMAGES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Britannia Tubular Bridge over Menai Straits, Wales, c 1850s. The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859). Construction began in 1846 and the bridge was opened on 18 March 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a passageway across the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland. The Menai Suspension Bridge, a road bridge completed in 1826, can be seen in the distance.
Model release not required. Property release not required.