CERN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY CERN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Editorial use only. This image may not be used to state or imply endorsement by CERN of any product, activity or service.
CERN model. This 1955 model shows plans for the proton synchrotron (PS) accelerator at CERN, the European particle physics laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland. The PS is the 200-metre diameter ring at right. It was completed in 1959, and was at the time the highest-energy particle accelerator in the world. It is still in use today, being used as an injector to accelerate particles and guide them into the larger CERN accelerators. Its latest role will be to provide protons and ions for the 27- kilometre-circumference Large Hadron Collider. The PS was the second accelerator completed at CERN, which was founded in 1954. Many key discoveries in particle physics have been made at CERN.
Model release not required. Property release not required.