LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, GEOGRAPHY AND MAP DIVISION / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, GEOGRAPHY AND MAP DIVISION / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Atlas compass in a 1544 copy of the Agnese Atlas. Several copies of this atlas were produced between 1536 and 1564, in Venice, by the Italian mapmaker Battista Agnese. This compass rose is found on the inside back cover, and is labelled with 32 compass directions. Although it was a nautical atlas, it is unlikely to have been more than an ornamental atlas for reference. The compass at centre was added some time later. This edition of the atlas was dedicated to Hieronymus Ruffault, Abbot of St Vaast, Arras, France. The atlas is known to have been in Germany, Italy, and New York, USA, during its 400-year-plus history, eventually reaching the US Library of Congress in 1943.
Model release not required. Property release not required.