SKYSCAN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SKYSCAN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Clifford's Tower. This stone tower is located on top of Baille Hill in the city of York by the confluence of the rivers Ouse and Fosse. The original tower was erected by William the Conqueror in 1069. It was one of two motte and bailey wooden castles, but only one has survived. In 1190, the then wooden tower was burnt to the ground along with 150 Jews who had sought refuge there following religious disturbances. The building was rebuilt in stone between 1245 and 1265. Photographed in York, Yorkshire, England.
Model release not required. Property release not required.