SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Egyptian obelisk in Rome. This view of the obelisk obelisco Flaminio reveals the well-preserved hieroglyphs engraved on its surface. It stands in the centre of the Piazza del Popolo in Rome, Italy, and is the second largest obelisk in the city, reaching a height of 36.5 metres. The obelisk originally stood in Heliopolis, Egypt, during the reign of Ramses II in the 19th dynasty (13th century BC). It was brought to Rome in the year 10 BC by order of the emperor Augustus and placed in the Circus Maximus (a Roman entertainment venue). It was discovered broken into three pieces in 1587 but was repaired and re-erected in the Piazza del Popolo in 1589 by the Italian architect and engineer Domenico Fontana (1543-1607).
Model release not required. Property release not required.