PATRICK LANDMANN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY PATRICK LANDMANN / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Luxor temple, Egypt. Aerial view of Luxor temple (centre), the river Nile and the Theban Hills. This temple was first built around 1380 BC by the pharaoh Amenhotep III and later extended by Ramses II. The site was also a place of worship for Roman, Christian and Islamic followers after the reign of the pharaohs. The temple is located on the banks of the river Nile, in the ancient Egyptian capital of Thebes, now known as Luxor. At the entrance (centre right) stands a 24-metre tall tower known as the First Pylon, and several giant statues built by Ramses II. A mosque is situated just behind the front walls. The remainder of the complex includes huge statues, columns and courtyards.
Model release not required. Property release not required.