DR GOPAL MURTI / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY DR GOPAL MURTI / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
HeLa cells. Confocal light micrograph of HeLa cancer cells. The cells have been stained to reveal their structure. Their nuclei are blue, mitochondria green and the structural protein actin red. HeLa cells were established in 1952 as the first human cell line. They were named after Henrietta Lacks, from whose cervical carcinoma they were obtained. HeLa cancer cells are used worldwide as they grow unusually well in the laboratory. They are used widely in virology and the study of cell division. In confocal microscopy a laser excites fluorescent dyes placed in the specimen. Magnification unknown.
Model release not required. Property release not required.