J. DE MEY, ISM / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY J. DE MEY, ISM / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
HeLa cell, fluorescent light micrograph. Some cell structures are seen: the microtubules (green) and the chromatin (genetic material, blue). HeLa cells are the first human cell line, established in 1952 to research cancer. They were obtained from the cervix of Henrietta Lacks (after whom the cells are named) from Baltimore, USA, in 1951, who died of cervical cancer eight months later. HeLa cells thrive unusually well in the laboratory, and are used in research worldwide. The image has been enhanced by a technique known as deconvolution. Magnification: x4700 at 6x7cm size.
Model release not required. Property release not required.