This image is not available for purchase in your country.

Coloured SEM of common table salt

Coloured SEM of common table salt

H110/0647

Rights Managed

38.3 MB (38.0 MB compressed)

3392 x 3948 pixels

28.7 x 33.5 cm ⏐ 11.3 x 13.2 in (300dpi)

This image is not available for purchase in your country.

Please contact your Account Manager if you have any query.

Credit

DAVID SCHARF / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY DAVID SCHARF / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Caption

Coloured scanning electron micrograph (SEM) of common table salt, showing the roughly cubic grains with rounded edges (presumably rounded during production as an aid to pouring). Table salt contains over 99% sodium chloride, which in its pure state has a near perfect cubic crystal structure. The remaining 1% consists of sodium sulphate and magnesium chloride, which contribute to easy pouring by acting as dessicants (reducing effects of moisture). An average person needs about 3 grammes of salt per day to make up for losses via sweat, urine and faeces. Magnification: x13 at 35mm, x26 at 6x7cm size. Original is bw prit h100/240. COLOURED BLUE.

Release details

Model release not required. Property release not required.

 {{ i.shot_duration ? i.shot_duration + ' ' : '' }}{{ i.shot_uhd ? '4K ' : i.hires ? 'HD ' : '' }}{{ i.spl_number }} R{{ i.license }}

  • Add to board
  • Similar {{ mediaType(i) }}