DR P. MARAZZI / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY DR P. MARAZZI / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Depigmentation of a 14-year-old girl's skin after a reaction to a temporary henna tattoo. The patient's tattoo was made using 'black henna', a product that contains a harmful dye called paraphenylenediamine (PPD). PPD is used to speed up the dying process, and strengthen and darken the colour. However, PPD is an allergen that can cause scarring, depigmentation and related allergies in individuals who have become sensitised to the dye.
Model release available. Property release not required.