MEHAU KULYK / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY MEHAU KULYK / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Organophosphate brain damage. Coloured magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of a man's brain showing damage caused by organophosphate poisoning. The brain is seen in horizontal (axial) section with the front of the head at top. The brain's fluid-filled ventricles (red & pink, partly seen at centre) and clefts (sulci) have become greatly enlarged. Organophosphates are often used in insecticides, for example in sheep dips used to kill parasites. Over-exposure can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and breathing difficulties. The neurological damage seen here indicates prolonged exposure.
Model release not required. Property release not required.