LIBRARY OF CONGRESS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY LIBRARY OF CONGRESS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Converted mental asylum. This is Fool Tower for the insane, in Vienna, Austria. Also called the Madhouse Tower (Narrenturm), this building was constructed in 1784 on the orders of the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II. The building was designed by Isidore Canevale. This building was one of the first psychiatric hospitals. It was closed as a hospital in 1866, and was used to house students, nurses and doctors. Since 1971, the site has been occupied by a pathology and anatomy museum. The building is protected under heritage laws, and is owned by the University of Vienna. This photograph is from the Bain News Service, one of the USA's earliest news picture libraries. The photographs date from the 1890s to the 1930s.
Model release not required. Property release not required.