SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
X-ray of heart arteries (1904). Early arteriogram showing in fine detail the coronary arteries of the heart. The X-ray was made by Alfred G. Fryatt of Australia and published in the Archives of the Roentgen Ray (1904). The heart of a cadaver was used, and injected with what is assumed to have been mercury. At upper left, the left coronary artery branches to supply blood to the muscle of the left ventricle of the heart. At upper right is the curved right coronary artery, feeding the right side of the heart. Arteriography is used today as an important technique to diagnose coronary artery disease.
Model release not required. Property release not required.