ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Copenhagen Observatory. This observatory, part of the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, was built from 1859 to 1861 in the Ostervold area of Copenhagen. It replaced the old observatory which had operated from 1642 to 1861. The Ostervold observatory instruments included a meridian circle, pendulum clocks, two small telescopes under the dome at centre, and a magnetic observatory. The two residential wings either side housed the Professor (left) and the Observer (right). The main astronomical research at the university moved away from this site in 1953, and the Ostervold observatory is now used to train astronomy students. Photographed in 1870.
Model release not required. Property release not required.