ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Calton Hill Observatory (right) and Playfair Monument (left). Founded in 1776, this was the original site of the Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, Scotland. The buildings seen here were built in the period 1818 to 1822 to a design by William Henry Playfair. The Playfair Monument was to his uncle John Playfair. By 1888, many of the instruments had become obsolete. The Scottish astronomer James Ludovic Lindsay (1847-1913), the 26th Earl of Crawford, donated the instruments and library from his private observatory at Dunecht, allowing a new Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, to open on Blackford Hill. The Calton Hill site became the City Observatory.
Model release not required. Property release not required.