57.4 MB (2.5 MB compressed)
4488 x 4467 pixels
38.1 x 37.8 cm ⏐ 15.0 x 14.9 in (300dpi)
ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Shuckburgh telescope. This telescope was installed in 1791 at the private observatory of Sir George Shuckburgh (1751-1804) in Warwickshire, England. It is a refracting telescope of 4 inch aperture on an equatorial mounting, built by Jesse Ramsden (1735-1800), one of the foremost London instrument makers. Later in 1811, it was presented to the Royal Observatory, Greenwich where it was used very little due to the instability of its mounting. After many years of inactivity the instrument was presented to the London Science Museum in 1929. This illustration was published in 1793 in The Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, a scientific journal published by the Royal society.
Model release not required. Property release not required.