DETLEV VAN RAVENSWAAY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY DETLEV VAN RAVENSWAAY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Peenemunde rocket factory, Germany, 1943. Rocket tanks are seen in the foreground, the aft parts of the rockets are on the left, and the nose cones are in the background on the right. This site was used during World War II (1939-1945) to test the rockets developed by the team led by the German rocket scientists Wernher von Braun and Walter Dornberger. The testing site (the Heeresversuchsanstalt) had been established in 1937, and it was here that many of the basics principles of rocket technology were developed. Rockets developed here included the V-1 and V-2. The first V-2 (then called the A-4) flew on 3 October 1942.
Model release not required. Property release not required.