MARTIN BOND / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY MARTIN BOND / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Water mill. View of the Killhope waterwheel. This waterwheel is 10.2 metres in diameter. It was built in 1877 to power a now disused lead mine. The flow of the river (not seen here) turns the large wheel, which is connected to milling machinery. The wheel can be used to turn a variety of tools. Waterwheels were primarily used to grind flour in the Middle Ages. The principle of the waterwheel led directly to the development of the turbine, which is present in almost all electricity generators today. Photographed in County Durham, England.
Model release not required. Property release not required.