NATIONAL ARCHIVES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY NATIONAL ARCHIVES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Aerial photograph of the Clinton Engineer Works in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, taken near the end of World War Two. The plant supplied some of the components for the atomic bomb. The large U-shaped building is a gaseous-diffusion plant; it contained thousands of pumps & converters for concentrating Uranium-235. The site, which covered 21 square kilometres, was acquired by the War Department in the Autumn of 1942. The close proximity of the necessary power and water supplies along with its remoteness from the coast made it an ideal candidate for the purpose.
Model release not required. Property release not required.