LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL LABORATORY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL LABORATORY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Control bunker used in the Trinity Test, the world's first detonation of a nuclear weapon, conducted on July 16th 1945 in the Jornada del Muerto in New Mexico. Located about nine kilometres south of Ground Zero (the point on the ground immediately below the blast) the bunker contained the main firing system and the equipment required to coordinate the various recording instruments scattered around the test site. Notice the mound of earth piled up to provide protection for the control centre and the numerous wires which connected it to the other instrumentation bunkers and the base camp.
Model release not required. Property release not required.