LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL LABORATORY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL LABORATORY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Los Alamos during World War 2. View of some of the buildings at the Los Alamos laboratory, New Mexico, USA, where the first atomic bombs were designed and built in 1943-45. This view was taken along 20th Street toward Main Drive (later Trinity Drive). At right is Gamma Building, the research offices of the Chemistry and Metallurgy Division. At upper left is S Building (stockroom) and at top centre is T Building (general offices and library). Compare this with a photograph of the same site made in 1994 (SPL picture T162/076); almost nothing of the original Los Alamos laboratory is now standing.
Model release not required. Property release not required.