ARGONNE NATIONAL LABORATORY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY ARGONNE NATIONAL LABORATORY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Photograph of Chicago Pile number two (CP-2), at Argonne Forest Preserve in 1943. CP-2's predecessor, CP-1, demonstrated the first self- sustaining nuclear chain reaction on 2 December 1942. In early 1943, CP-1 was removed from its site at the University of Chicago's Stagg Field, and rebuilt at Argonne with a few modifications. CP-2 was itself demolished in 1956, the radioactive components were removed and the remainder buried.
Model release not required. Property release not required.