LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL LABORATORY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL LABORATORY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Los Alamos laboratory during World War 2. View of a covered footbridge at the Los Alamos laboratory in New Mexico, USA, during the Manhattan Project, the research project which built the world's first atomic bombs in 1942-45. At left is the P Building, which housed some Theoretical Division offices and the Personnel office. At far right is part of A Building, which contained the directors' offices. Under the bridge (next to the car) is a security hut where passes were checked. The road seen here was the main street of the site, and remained unpaved throughout the war. The road later became known as Trinity Drive.
Model release not required. Property release not required.