MARTIN BOND / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY MARTIN BOND / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Sellafield nuclear power reprocessing plant in Cumbria, UK showing some of the buildings on the large site. The domed building housed the Windscale Advanced Gas-Cooled Reactor (AGR), a prototype nuclear reactor operating from 1963 to 1981. The tall stacks & attached square buildings housed the two Windscale plutonium production reactors, where uranium was irradiated to produce plutonium for military purposes. These were closed after the 1957 fire. The cooling towers are attached to the Calder Hall nuclear power station, the world's first commercial size nuclear plant opened in 1956. It provides the electricity & process steam for the Sellafield site.
Model release not required. Property release not required.