OMIKRON / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY OMIKRON / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
The manually powered, or push type assembly line at Ford Motor Companys Highland Park plant came into being late in 1912. As the photograph shows, the rear wheels of the car were cradled in a three-wheel dolly which moved astride a track on the floor. Each car was pushed from one station to the next. In This photograph, the early Model T has just received its barrel-shaped gasoline tank. Prior to the push type assembly line, cars were kept at one station and assembled in much the same way carpenters build a house.
Model release not available. Property release not required.