CARLOS DOMINGUEZ / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY CARLOS DOMINGUEZ / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Bankside Power Station, London, UK. This building was designed by the British architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and built in two stages between 1947 and 1963. The central chimney (seen here) was kept to a height of 99 metres, so that it was lower than the dome of St Paul's Cathedral, which sits opposite the building, on the other side of the River Thames. The power station closed in 1981 and the building remained disused until it was converted into an art gallery by Swiss architect firm Herzog & de Meuron. The gallery opened as the Tate Modern on 12 May 2000. Photographed in 1997.
Model release not required. Property release not required.