CARLOS DOMINGUEZ / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY CARLOS DOMINGUEZ / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Hoover Factory, Greenford, London, UK. This building was designed by the British architect firm Wallis, Gilbert and Partners and built between 1931 and 1938. The factory was built in steel-reinforced concrete designed to stay pure white in colour, which kept the building looking clean. The facade of the main building (seen here) was adorned with brightly-coloured, glazed ceramic tiles, inspired by ancient Egypt. The Hoover factory closed down in the early 1980s and remained in disuse until 1989 when Tesco, a British supermarket chain, purchased the site. As part of the site redevelopment, Tesco restored the facade and canteen. Photographed in 1998.
Model release not required. Property release not required.