SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Wankel engine, cutaway artwork. Designed by Felix Wankel (1902-1988) in the 1950s as an improvement to the piston-driven Otto cycle engine, this engine uses an arrangement of rotors (black, centre left) inside combustion chambers to produce a higher power output. Technical difficulties have interfered with its widespread adoption, although this model, which produced about 100 bhp, was used in the NSU RO 80 motor car.
Model release not required. Property release not required.