SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Artwork of the rock- boring machine invented and patented by George Low and manufactured by E. R. and F. Turner of Ipswich, England. The machine is powered by a pneumatic system (red hose) that can used compressed steam or air. The compressor can be located at some distance, and the machine moved to the workface on rails. The boring cylinder rotates rapidly and also moves up and down, striking the rock at a rate of 300-500 blows per minute. The boring point is around 5 centimetres across. The compressed air that powers the machine also cushions the boring cylinder, and a jet of water is used to wash away the broken rock. Artwork from Mines and Miners (L. Simonin, 1868).
Model release not required. Property release not required.