LIBRARY OF CONGRESS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY LIBRARY OF CONGRESS / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Graf Zeppelin in Egypt. Officially known as the LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin, this airship was named after its German inventor Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin. It flew for the first time on 18th September 1928, using 'blau gas'(a fuel similar to propane). With a length of nearly 237 metres, it was the largest airship at that time. It was most famous for undergoing the first non-stop flight of any aircraft across the Pacific Ocean. It also frequently circumnavigated the globe and visited remote regions such as the Arctic. The LZ 127 was retired in 1937, due to numerous explosive accidents in other airships caused by flammable gases. It was deconstructed in 1940, as its aluminium parts were needed to support World War II. Photographed in 1931.
Model release not available. Property release not required.