SPUTNIK / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY SPUTNIK / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Soviet 'Maxim Gorky' ANT-20, in 1934, acompanied by two smaller biplanes. This 8-engine monoplane, named after the Soviet author Maxim Gorky, was built between 1933 and 1934. It was the largest aeroplane in the world at the time, and had a wingspan of 63 metres. It was used as a propaganda vehicle for Soviet ideology, and had a radio with which to broadcast its messages. The last flight of the 'Maxim Gorky' was on 18th May 1935. The pilot of one of the smaller aeroplanes accompanying it misjudged a stunt manoeuvre and collided with the larger plane. Both planes crashed into a residential suburb of Moscow, killing 45 people on board.
Model release not required. Property release not required.