CCI ARCHIVES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY CCI ARCHIVES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Panama Canal, early 20th century. Artwork of the Pedro Miguel Locks on the Panama Canal. This set of locks is on the Pacific side of the Canal, the south-eastern end of the Canal. Construction of the Pedro Miguel Locks finished in 1911, and the entire Canal opened in 1914. There are two lanes for ships passing through the lock, each one being 33.5 metres wide. The upper side leads to Gaillard Cut and then to Gatun Lake. The lower side leads to Miraflores Locks and then to the Pacific. After Gatun Lake are Gatun Locks and then the Atlantic. The entire journey north-west from the Pacific to the Atlantic is 80 kilometres. This is a postcard from the 1920s.
Model release not required. Property release not required.