CCI ARCHIVES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY CCI ARCHIVES / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Breguet telegraph. Historical artwork of the use of a Breguet telegraph system. This was developed from 1850 by the French inventor Louis-Francois-Clement Breguet (1804-1883). It consisted of dials with the letters of the alphabet on the outside. The operators are using transmitting (foreground) and receiving (background) equipment. The letters, read from the message, are selected on the dial. Moving the dial's handle activates electromagnetic equipment (through wires, lower right) that moves the pointer on the receiver, allowing the letter to be noted by the operator (alerted by bells). This French artwork is part of an early 20th century series on the history of electricity.
Model release not required. Property release not required.